RM (BTS Rapper) Biography [Who is RM?]
Kim Nam-Joon (Korean: 김남준), better known by his stage name RM (formerly known as Rap Monster (랩몬스터) and Runch Randa), is a South Korean rapper, songwriter, and record producer under Big Hit Music. He is the leader and a rapper of BTS (방탄소년단), also he is notable for his large input in songwriting and production in the discography of the group.
As a solo artist, he has released two mixtapes: RM in 2015 and Mono in 2018. In October 2018, his second mixtape, Mono, was the highest-charting album by a Korean soloist on the Billboard 200 chart, having peaked at 26. He has recorded with artists such as Wale, Younha, Warren G, Gaeko, Krizz Kaliko, MFBTY, Fall Out Boy, Primary, and Lil Nas X. In 2020, RM was promoted to full member of the Korea Music Copyright Association.
|Name (Stage Name)||RM formerly Rap Monster (랩몬스터)|
|Real Name||Kim Nam-Joon|
|Date of Birth||September 12, 1994 (age 28)|
|Birth Place||Dongjak-gu, Seoul, South Korea|
|Height||181 cm (5’11”)|
|Weight||73.6 kg (162 lbs)|
|Occupation||Rapper, Songwriter, Record producer|
|Awards||Hwagwan Order of Cultural Merit (2018)|
|Genres||K-pop, hip hop, R&B|
|Net Worth||8 Million USD|
|Associated acts||BTS (방탄소년단)|
|Position||Leader, Main Rapper|
Early Life and Education:
Kim Nam-joon (Korean: 김남준) was born on September 12, 1994 (26 years as US Age in 2021 and 28 Years as Korean Age in 2021), in Dongjak-gu, South Korea, and grew up in Ilsan-gu, where his family moved when he was four or five. He is the elder of two siblings and has a younger sister.
RM was interested in learning English from an early age. As a child, he largely learned English through watching Friends with his mother. In school, RM scored in the top 1% of the nation in the university entrance examinations for language, math, foreign language, and social studies and had an IQ of 148.
He used to write poems since he was in school and often received awards for his writings. Also, he posted his poem to an online poetry website for roughly one year, where he received moderate attention. Through this, RM grew his interest in pursuing a literary career but later he left it.
At the age of 11, RM became interested in hip-hop music after hearing Epik High’s “Fly” in fifth grade. He found that the song had provided him comfort, and, due to this, decided to look further into the genre. Following an introduction to American rapper Eminem by his school teacher, RM grew interested in lyricism, printing lyrics he felt were “cool” and sharing them with his friends.
In 2007, RM began rapping in local amateur hip-hop circles, creating his first self-composed recording for the first time, later he participated in his first concert in 2008. RM eventually became more active in the underground Korean hip-hop scene under the moniker “Runch Randa”, releasing a number of tracks and collaborations with other underground rappers, such as Zico.
RM’s parents were strongly opposed to his interest in a musical career due to his academic achievements, and initially, RM decided to set music aside to focus on his studies. Letter on his mother to allow him to be a rapper.
Kim Nam-joon selected the name “RM” (Rap Monster) during his time as an idol trainee. He adopted the stage name because he felt it was “cool”. Though commonly misunderstood that the name means that he “raps like a monster”, it actually derives from the lyrics of a song he wrote, inspired by San E’s “Rap Genius”.
He formally changed his stage name to “RM” in November 2017, as he determined that “Rap Monster” was no longer representative of who he was or the music that he creates. In an interview with Entertainment Tonight RM stated that “[the name] could symbolize many things. It could have more spectrums to it.” “Real Me” was provided as a possible current meaning.
Career in Music:
In 2009, RM auditioned for Big Deal Records, passing the first round along with Samuel Seo but failing the second round as he forgot all his lyrics. However, following the audition, rapper Sleepy exchanged contact information with RM. In 2010, Sleepy contacted RM, encouraging him to audition for Big Hit CEO Bang Si-hyuk. Bang offered RM a spot at the record label, and, without his parent’s knowledge, RM accepted the offer immediately.
After that, Bang and Pdogg start production of a hip hop group, which eventually became idol group BTS. RM joined Big Hit Entertainment shortly after at age 16.
RM trained for three years with fellow rapper Min Yoon-gi and dancer Jung Ho-Seok, who later became known as Suga and J-Hope respectively. During his three-year trainee period, RM performed on five pre-debut tracks credited to BTS in 2010 and 2011. On June 13, 2013, RM made his debut with BTS and has since produced and written lyrics for a variety of tracks on all of BTS’ albums.
On March 17, 2015, RM released his first solo mixtape, RM, which ranked 48th on Spin’s “50 Best Hip Hop Albums of 2015”. In 2018, RM released his second mixtape entitled “Mono”. After the success of MONO, he became the first Korean artist to rank number one on the Emerging Artists Chart in the United States with the playlist.
RM succeeded in making his own identity not only in his own country but in the whole world. He collaborates with so many national and international artists and musicians such as Warren G, MFBTY, Wale, Gaeko, Fall Out Boy’s, Tiger JK, eAeon’s, and many more other artists and musicians.
In 2018, RM was awarded the fifth-class Hwagwan Order of Cultural Merit by the President of South Korea along with the other members of BTS, for his contributions to Korean culture. In a survey conducted by Gallup Korea, RM ranked as the 11th most preferred idol of the year for 2019.
RM Albums & Songs
- RM (2015)
- Mono (2018)
- “Perfect Christmas” (with Jo Kwon, Lim Jeong-hee, Joohee and Jung Kook) (2013)
- “P.D.D” (with Warren G) (2015)
- “Change” (with Wale) (2017)
- “Gajah” (코끼리) (with Gaeko) (2017)
- “Champion (Remix)” (with Fall Out Boy) (2017)
- “Crying Over You ◐” (with Honne and Beka) (2019)
- “Seoul Town Road (Old Town Road Remix)” (with Lil Nas X) (2019)
- “Buckubucku” (부끄부끄) from WondaLand (MFBTY feat. EE, RM and Dino-J) (2015)
- “ProMeTheUs” (튀겨) from Andre (Yankie feat. Dok2, Juvie Train, Double K, RM, Topbob and Don Mills) (2015)
- “U” from 2 (Primary feat. Kwon Jin-ah and RM) (2015)
- “Timeless” from X : Rebirth Of Tiger JK (Tiger JK feat. RM) (2018)
- “Winter Flower” (雪中梅) from Unstable Mindset (Younha feat. RM) (2020)
- “Don’t” (그러지 마) from Fragile (eAeon feat. RM) (2021)
- “Unpack Your Bags” (with DJ Soulscape) (2014)
- “I Know” (아라요) (with Jung Kook) (2016)
- “Always” (2017)
- “4 O’CLOCK” (네시) (with V) (2017)
- “DDaeng” (땡) (with SUGA and j-hope) (2018)
- “Bicycle” (2021)
- “Rap Monster” (2012)
- “School of Tears” (학교의눈물) (with SUGA and Jin) (2013)
- “You” (닥투) (2013)
- “Favorite Girl” (2013)
- “Like A Star” (with Jung Kook) (2013)
- “Expensive Girl” (비싼여자) (2013)
- “Adult Child” (어른아이) (with SUGA and Jin) (2013)
- “Something” (2013)
- “Too Much” (2013)
- “Fools” (with Jung Kook) (2015)
- “Umbrella” (우산) (with Yuiko) (2016)
- “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” (with Jimin) (2019)
- Burn The Stage: The Movie Himself Screening in select theatres
- BTS World Tour: Love Yourself in Seoul
- The Soul: The Movie
- Break The Silence: The Movie
RM Girlfriend / Relationship & Love Affairs:
Rumour has it that RM married his girlfriend secretly, at the beginning of 2020, and several fans have even come to believe they parented children together. But RM has never revealed the identity of his rumoured girlfriend.
In an interview, RM has been sporting his ring publicly on his left finger. Apparently, in Korean culture, wearing a ring isn’t always indicative of marriage, but sometimes, couples exchange rings after dating for a certain amount of time, so marriage isn’t necessarily in the cards.
Also, he’s been spotted with fellow K-pop singer, Hwasa, but no relationship between them has been confirmed. So according to the source and not having official data RM is single now and his ideal type is “sexy, even to a brain. Someone that is thoughtful and confident.”
Facts About RM (Rap Monster)
- Kim Nam-Joon AKA RM was born in Seoul (Sangdo-dong) then he moved to Ilsan, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea when he was 4.
- He has a younger sister, Kim Kyung Min.
- His favorite foods are meat (especially Samgyeopsal) and Kalguksu (Korean knife noodles).
- He taught himself how to speak English and can speak it extremely well.
- RM is very smart, his IQ level is 148. It ranked in the top 1% of the nation according to high school exam results.
- BTS has been around since 2010, but they debuted in 2013 because of the constant member change up. RM is the only member left from the original line up.
- Even before BTS debuted, Rap Monster performed as an underground rapper, released several unofficial tracks, including a collaboration with Zico (Block B).
- He released his first solo mixtape, “RM” on March 17, 2015.
- His favorite colors are black, pink, and purple. (BTS interview for J-14 Magazine from 170505)
- His favorite items are clothes, computer, books.
- RM likes clear weather.
- RM’s hobbies include surfing the Internet, walking in the park, cycling, taking pictures, and mountain climbing.
- RM’s role models are Kanye West, and A$AP Rocky.
- RM has co-composed/co-produced 160+ songs.
- On November 13 2017, Namjoon wrote a message on the group’s official fan cafe announcing he changed his stage name from Rap Monster to RM. Namjoon stated that “RM” stands for “Real Me”.
- RM is ranked 79th on TC Candler “The 100 Most Handsome Faces of 2018”.
- Rap Monster is a big supporter of the human rights of LGBT people.
- He started writing lyrics in a notebook since high school.
- RM and Suga rewrote the lyrics of “No More Dream” more than 20 times during the production of the album.
RM’s (Kim Nam-Joon) FAQ’s:
What is RM’s fav number?
His favorite number is 1.
Does RM have a girlfriend?
RM discussed the relationship he had in high school. His ex-girlfriend was popular with boys, and would often make him doubt himself. But now he is single.
Is BTS RM an engineer?
RM has attended the Apgujeong High School. He majored in Electric engineering (Bachelor) at the Global Cyber University, where he is currently still enrolled.
What is RM’s IQ?
RM’s really smart with an IQ of 148. He was previously ranked in the top 1% of the nation in his high school exams.
How old is RM in the Korean age?
RM [Kim Nam-Joon (Korean: 김남준)] was born on September 12, 1994 (28 years as of 2022).
What does Kim Namjoon like?
He likes meat and Kalguksu (Korean knife noodles). 28. His favorite items are clothes, computers, books.
Does Namjoon have a child?
So officially, no. Kim Namjoon does not have a child.
BTS RM’s in Relationship?
Big Hit Entertainment claimed that RM is officially single and he is not dating anyone in secret. BTS member RM was also rumoured to have dated MAMAMOO singer Hwasa. but no relationship between them has been confirmed.
Who is the tallest member in BTS?
The tallest member of BTS is the leader of the group, RM. According to K-pop Map, this rapper is 181 centimetres tall, or about 5 feet 11 inches.
How tall is RM?
RM is 181 centimetres tall, or about 5 feet 11 inches.
RM Social Networks:
- BTS (방탄소년단) Biography, Members, Songs, Albums, Facts, Awards, Photos, Videos
- Jungkook (BTS) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Education, Net Worth, Photos, Videos
- V (BTS) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Net Worth, Photos, Videos
- Jimin (BTS) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Net Worth, Photos, Videos
- Suga (BTS) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Birthday, Net Worth, Photos, Videos
- Jin (BTS) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Education, Photos, Videos
- J-Hope (BTS Rapper) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Birthday, Net Worth
- Interesting Facts That You Must Know About RM (Kim Namjoon) BTS
- Interesting Facts That You Must Know About Jeon Jungkook (BTS)
- RM (BTS) Photos, Videos Galley, Photoshoots, Wallpapers HD [Latest Unseen] Free Download