Suga (Min Yoon-gi) Biography [Who is Suga (Min Yoon-gi)?]
Min Yoon-gi (Korean: 민윤기), better known by his stage names Suga (stylized as SUGA) and Agust D, is a South Korean rapper, songwriter, and record producer. Suga debuted as a member of the South Korean pop idol group BTS in 2013. He started as an underground rapper, before joining the K-pop group, BTS (방탄소년단).
Suga is a multi-talented person who can write, compose, and mix music. He was very young when he started composing songs. The Korea Music Copyright Association attributes over 100 songs to Suga as a songwriter and producer, including Suran’s “Wine” which peaked at number two on the Gaon Music Chart and won best Soul/R&B track of the year at the 2017 Melon Music Awards.
In 2016, he released his first solo mixtape, Agust D. In 2018, he re-released the mixtape for digital purchase and streaming. The reissue reached number three on Billboard’s World Albums Chart. In 2020, he released his second solo mixtape, D-2. Commercially, the mixtape peaked at number 11 on the US Billboard 200, number seven on the UK Albums Chart, and number two on Australia’s ARIA Album Chart.
|Stage Name||Suga (슈가)|
|Full Name||Min Yoon Gi (민윤기)|
|Date of birth||March 9, 1993 (age 29)|
|Birth Place||Buk District, Daegu, South Korea|
|Height||174 cm (5’8.5″)|
|Weight||59 kg (130 lbs)|
|Education||Global Cyber University – Liberal Arts Major (bachelor)|
|Occupation||Rapper, Songwriter, Record producer|
|Hobbies||Taking photos, avoiding having to do work, playing games, and reading comics.|
|Genres||Hip hop, K-pop, R&B|
|Associated acts||BTS (방탄소년단)|
Early Life & Education:
Min Yoon-gi was born on March 9, 1993, in Daegu, South Korea into a poor family. He has an elder brother. Yoon-gi initially attended Taejeon Elementary School, Gwaneum Middle School, and Apgujeong High School.
In March 2019, along with bandmates RM and J-Hope, he enrolled at Hanyang Cyber University for the Master of Business Administration program in Advertising and Media.
When Yoon-gi was 12, he listened to hip-hop. After that he became interested in rap after hearing “Ragga Muffin” by Stony Skunk, stating that it was different from anything he had ever heard before. After hearing Epik High, he decided to become a rapper.
He was greatly inspired by the hip-hop genre of music. By age 13, he began to write music lyrics and learned about MIDI. At the age of 17, Yoon-gi started doing a part-time job with a recording studio.
From then on, he began composing and arranging music, rapping, and performing. Initially, his parents were not very supportive of his career choice. However, they later accepted his choice and were proud of him.
In 2013, Min Yoon-gi debuted as part of the South Korean boy band ‘Bangtan Boys,’ also known as ‘BTS.’ The band was formed by the South Korean entertainment company ‘Big Hit Entertainment.’ Yoon-gi adopted the stage name “Suga” for ‘BTS.’ Before joining the BTS group, he was active under the name Gloss as an underground rapper. As part of the hip hop crew D-Town in 2010, he produced “518-062”, a song commemorating the Gwangju Uprising.
Suga originally joining the company as a music producer, he trained under Big Hit Entertainment for three years alongside members J-Hope and RM. He made his debut as a member of BTS on Mnet’s M Countdown with the track “No More Dream” from their debut single album 2 Cool 4 Skool. He has produced and written lyrics for a variety of tracks on all of BTS’ albums.
In 2014, ‘BTS’ released a Japanese album, ‘Wake Up,’ and a South Korean album, ‘Dark & Wild.’ Suga wrote a number of hit songs for ‘BTS,’ such as ‘Jump,’ ‘Tomorrow,’ and ‘Like’. He composed songs for their hit albums ‘Wings’ and ‘The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Part 1.’
Suga released two solo tracks under the group’s name. The first, a song entitled “First Love”, appeared on BTS’ 2016 studio album Wings, and the second song “Trivia: Seesaw” on the 2018 compilation album Love Yourself: Answer, which discussed the up-and-down nature of falling in love.
That same year, Suga was awarded the fifth-class Hwagwan Order of Cultural Merit as a member of BTS by the President of South Korea along with other members of the group. In 2016, Min Yoon-gi started his solo career and released his debut mixtape under the alias “Agust D” on ‘SoundCloud.’ He derived the alias by spelling ‘DT’ and ‘Suga’ backward. ‘DT’ is the abbreviated form for his hometown, Daegu Town.
in 2017, Suga composed the song “Wine” for the singer. The record peaked at #2 on the Gaon Digital Chart and won the best Soul/R&B track of the year at the ‘Melon Music Awards on December 2, 2017. Suga also received the “Hot Trend Award” for his work on the track.
In December 2019, American singer-songwriter Halsey released the song “Suga’s Interlude”, from her third studio album Manic, which both featured and was produced by Suga.
On May 6, 2020, IU released the digital single “Eight” featuring and produced by Suga. The song debuted at number one on both the Gaon Digital Chart and Billboard World Digital Songs chart.
The stage name Suga (슈가) is derived from the first syllables of the term shooting guard (슈팅 가드), the position he played in basketball as a student. He adopted the alias Agust D in 2016 for his mixtape, which is derived from the initials DT, short for his birthplace, Daegu Town, and “Suga” spelled backward.
In 2014, Suga made a promise to buy his fans meat should he find success as a musical artist. Four years later, on his 25th birthday, he donated beef to 39 orphanages in the name of “ARMY”, BTS’ fanbase. For his 26th birthday, in 2019, he donated KR₩100 million (US$88,000) and 329 BT21 Shooky dolls to the Korea Pediatric Cancer Foundation.
On February 27, 2020, Suga donated ₩100 million to the Hope Bridge National Disaster Relief Association to help prevention and relief efforts in his hometown of Daegu, one of the cities hardest hit by the coronavirus outbreak in South Korea at the time.
On March 9, 2021, he donated ₩100 million to Daegu’s Keimyung University Dongsan Hospital, to support child cancer patients who cannot access treatment due to financial difficulties. Suga has spoken openly about mental health and equality for the LGBTQ+ community.
Awards and Nominations:
- Melon Music Awards 2017 (Hot Trend Award)
- Mnet Asian Music Awards 2019 (Best Collaboration)
- Mnet Asian Music Awards 2020 (Best Collaboration)
Suga (Min Yoon-gi) Albums & Songs:
Suga (Min Yoon-gi) Girlfriend / Relationship & Love Affairs:
Suga has had many dating rumors. In 2017, the beautiful singer Suran was rumored to be his girlfriend. Letter on Bighit released an official statement, claiming they are just co-workers. Suga is a single man and probably will stay single from us army’s or BTS fans. So to answer your question Jin does not have a girlfriend.
Facts About Suga (Min Yoon-gi):
- Suga (Min Yoon-gi) was born in Buk-gu, Daegu, South Korea.
- He has an older brother, Min Geumjae (born Min Junki).
- His favorite food is meat.
- His favorite color is white.
- His favorite number is 3.
- Suga loves taking photos.
- His favorite weather is where you can wear short sleeves at the day and long sleeves at night.
- He likes to make rhymes for everyday situations/gags.
- In December 2013, Suga was diagnosed with appendicitis.
- His role models are Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Lil Wayne, and Hit Boy.
- Suga has co-composed/co-produced 120+ songs.
- Suga originally joined the Big Hit Entertainment company as a music producer.
- Suga uses the alias Agust D for his solo works. (“DT”, short for his birthplace “Daegu Town”, and “Suga”, spelled backwards).
- Suga is ranked 67th on TC Candler “The 100 Most Handsome Faces of 2018”.
- In a survey conducted by Gallup Korea, Suga was ranked the 13th most preferred idol of the year for 2017. In the 2018 and 2019 surveys, he ranked 7th and 9th, respectively.
- Suga’s ideal type is a girl who likes music, especially hip-hop.
- He wrote the song ‘Like It’ within 40 minutes.
- His band members often refer to him as “Grandpa.”
- Min Yoon-gi dislikes dancing.
- He is passionate about basketball.
- He is fluent in various dialects of the Korean language but is not too good at Japanese and English.
- His lyrics are based on themes that are full of life and hope. His motto in life is: “Let’s live while having fun. Doing music as your hobby and doing it as work is different.”
- In 2018, he purchased a US$3 million luxury apartment located in South Korea and as of 2019, he lives in Hannam-dong, Seoul, South Korea.
Suga Social Networks:
- BTS (방탄소년단) Biography, Members, Songs, Albums, Facts, Awards, Photos, Videos
- Jungkook (BTS) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Education, Net Worth, Photos, Videos
- V (BTS) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Net Worth, Photos, Videos
- Jimin (BTS) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Net Worth, Photos, Videos
- J-Hope (BTS) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Birthday, Net Worth, Photos, Videos
- Jin (BTS) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Education, Photos, Videos
- RM (BTS Rapper) Biography, Facts, Age, Height, Songs, Girlfriend, Family, Birthday, Net Worth
- Interesting Facts That You Must Know About RM (Kim Namjoon) BTS
- Interesting Facts That You Must Know About Jeon Jungkook (BTS)
- RM (BTS) Photos, Videos Galley, Photoshoots, Wallpapers HD [Latest Unseen] Free Download